Thursday, September 17, 2009

1. Films that were books I loved.

The Road was one of the most harrowing books I have ever read. I read it in a day, while in Bonaire, and I went to bed hungry. There's no way I was going to be able to eat after the scene in the old house. By th look of the trailer they seem to have done a pretty amazing job with the narrative and atmosphere, and you can't really argue with Viggo Mortensen. Plus, Marc Butan produced But I'm a Cheerleader, and The Rules of Attraction. so....


The Lovely Bones is serious too, I mean, it is about a fourteen year old girl who is brutally murdered and her family's lengthy quest to fid out whodunnit, buut... there is, also, well, in the book anyway, a sex-from-beyond-the-grave sequence. And, if the trailer is to be believed, plenty of dream scape pastel colours. As with Mortenson, you just can't argue with Wahlberg. Plus the lead is and young Irish actress in a Hollywood film, which is as rare as a hipster in hollister. So this film automatically gets my thumbs up in its direction.


Where the Wild Things Are was, and remains, one of my very favourite books of ALL TIME. And if Spike Jonze managed to fuck it up i will be very very upset. Luckily, I don;t think he will fuck it up, I think Spike has just the right level of weirdly understandable insanity, with just the right sense of aesthetic absurdity, to pull it off. Now please can we have In the Night Kitchen too?


It's not out for a while yet, and Sienna Miller is in it, but Never Let Me Go deserves a mention here too. If only because Kazuo Ishiguro is a genius, and I'd watch an educational film about venereal disease among the leaperous ladyboy prostitutes of south east asia, if you told me Ishiguro had written the original. actually... wait, that could be an interesting documentary... point is Ishiguro is da bomb. as they say on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment